Have you had a moment at your desk where you are tempted to slump your head onto your keyboard because some your devices or hardware are crashing or slowing to a crawl? Don’t worry – we’ve all been there.
Fortunately, this is one of the simplest problems to fix in the hardware/software world. If the device that is under-performing is new, then it may be defective. According to your agreement with your provider, it may be under warranty and therefore be replaced at no cost to you. If the device is old, well, you probably know where this is headed. At the rate that technology develops, older, outdated software may no longer be compatible or integrated with the newer workflows, systems and processes that you want to run.
As frustrating as that may sound, replacing the hardware comes with a number of benefits based on some fairly serious underlying issues that you may not see. Some of the most important reasons you want to adhere to the hardware requirements of fleet management software are:
1) Hardware requirements for fleet software are stress tested by software developers to ensure all functionality works based on specifications.
2) Hardware that is below the recommendation is not supported and will likely cause:
- Unforeseen issues and crashes
- Slowness that the end-users would be responsible to fix
- Not having enough storage space/RAM, which causes system freezes and potential data loss
- Not being able to utilize the software’s full potential, like queries, reports and data batches, on top of the normal operations with the web application pools
3) Developers test to ensure supported third party software is compatible/supported for the recommended hardware requirements:
- Crystal Reports
- NAPA integration with MaxQueue
- What version of the database we support.
- What version of the Windows server we support.
4) AssetWorks contracts third party hardware vendors that are supported to work with our software.
Lincoln Industrial is available for all your fuel needs. Designed to accurately track the storage and dispensing of fluids, oils and greases in vehicle maintenance facilities, Lincoln Industrial’s versatile LFC 6000 Fluid Control system integrates with AssetWorks FleetFocus fleet management software. Events and costs are attached to work orders where they are available for all management tasks. As the consumable inventory is dispensed, the shop inventory is updated in real-time so that fleet managers know when to replenish fluids.
GPS and Telematics for fleet vehicles helps address three vital questions: Where are my fleet vehicles? What are my vehicles doing? And lastly, how is what they are doing out there going to affect my organization in here?
5) Effective software vendors provide websites for replacements parts or hardware ordering, just in case a piece of hardware breaks or malfunctions you can rest assured that the replacement parts work with your specific hardware and software systems.
So, how is your hardware holding up? Are you up to date with the current supported versions? If not, it’s time to bring your fleet to another level of security and integrity. Don’t allow your hardware to be subjected to bugs, crashes and other issues.